In 1960, a Georgetown alumnus acquired two enterprises that occupied a
Federal-style home, dating from the mid-1800s.
After strategic restructuring, the building's basement opened up as The Tombs, a
casual restaurant geared to feed and entertain a university population of students and faculty alike.
Meanwhile, upstairs evolved into 1789 Restaurant, which
offered the ambiance of a stately home with its handsome prints and working fireplace. Its original classic French menu and gracious service were hailed by eager
Washingtonians who made it into one of the
city's most noteworthy destinations.