Situated on the edge of Georgetown University’s campus, The Tombs is a neighborhood restaurant by day and a popular gathering place for Georgetown students by night. In 1789, The Tombs is built in a Federal-style townhouse dating from the mid-1800s.
When Georgetown alumnus Richard McCooey founded The Tombs in 1962, he named it after a mention in T.S. Eliot’s poem “Bustopher Jones: The Cat About Town.”
Whether it's students watching a Hoya basketball game, Georgetown alumni sharing a pitcher of lager, or neighbors enjoying Sunday brunch after visiting Holy Trinity Church, Tombs traditions run deep.